If you are looking for easy fish recipes to make using your fresh catches, this ceviche recipe is very simple with few ingredients. Always use the freshest fish while following all food safety guidelines to carefully filleting and storing your catches.
Mexican ceviche recipe ingredients
The best Mexican-style ceviche recipe ingredients for ceviche aren’t hard to find, although you should know that certain types of fish are better to use in making ceviche because they are solid or semi-solid white fish.
- 1 pound of fresh fish diced into small ½ inch cubes (red snapper or mahi-mahi are two of the best fish for authentic Mexican recipes, but flounder and sea bass are also popular)
- Half a red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ cup of freshly chopped coriander
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, deseeded and very finely chopped.
- 1 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved (or 1 cup of diced tomatoes)
- ¾ cup of lime juice from 4 to 6 freshly squeezed limes
How to cook fish for ceviche
This Mexican ceviche recipe only takes a few minutes to prepare. The most important thing to remember is to let the fish marinate long enough for the lime juice to fully cook each piece of fish.
Follow each of these ceviche recipe steps:
- Use a juicer or squeeze the limes together by hand and set the juice aside.
- Cut the fish into small pieces.
- Place the fish pieces in a medium-sized glass bowl with lime juice and salt.
- Let the fish marinate in the refrigerator for about 4 hours.
- Cut fresh jalapenos, tomatoes, red onions and coriander into small pieces. Put the vegetable mixture in a bowl and set aside.
- After marinating the fish for 4 hours, check to see if the fish has gone from translucent to opaque.
- Drain 95% of the lime juice from the meat and add the vegetable mixture.
- Add your ceviche to a bowl and serve with corn chips or plantain chips.
This simple ceviche recipe is perfect as a starter or as a light meal. Of course, there are many ways to serve ceviche depending on your preferences, but garnishing your homemade ceviche dishes with fresh herbs and wedges of lime adds a nice touch.